Onion And Garlic Is Toxic

Onion and garlic is actually toxic, believe it or not.

We all know vampires don’t like garlic… but maybe there’s something behind this immortal creatures disdain for garlic that we’re over-looking. Think about it: most of us mortals fear the dreaded “garlic breath” after eating Italian food before getting close and cozy for some face time with a mate. For a good reason too, because most people find onion and garlic breath to be pretty repulsing. So we know that if anything, having garlic and onions before the big date is a major faux pas… but is there more to it?

The answer is, yes.

Before we get into the science, let’s just think common sense. How many people get bad breath after eating apples, pineapple, berries, celery, carrots, orange juice, or even simple bread? You don’t hear any girls running away in terror back to their friends saying “OH NO, BREAD BREATH!“I think it’s a safe bet that most people with good hygiene don’t.

In fact, you even see couples feeding each other strawberries and kissing each other with fruit… but not onions. There’s nothing sexy or sensual about running an onion peel over a women’s breast and lips …unless I suppose you have a alliums fetish (good luck having that up on your online dating profile).

Why is that? Well first let’s tackle what bad breath is first. According to Wikipedia:

Halitosis (bad breath) is a term used to describe noticeably unpleasant odors exhaled in breathing. […] In most cases (85–90%), bad breath originates in the mouth itself. The intensity of bad breath differs during the day, due to eating certain foods (such as garlic, onions, meat, fish, and cheese), obesity, smoking, and alcohol consumption. Since the mouth is exposed to less oxygen and is inactive during the night, the odor is usually worse upon awakening (“morning breath”).

Tongue bacteria produce malodorous compounds and fatty acids, and account for 80 to 90% of all cases of mouth-related bad breath. Tongue bacteria produce malodorous compounds and fatty acids, and account for 80 to 90% of all cases of mouth-related bad breath.

See, even the definition mentions garlic and onions increase bad breath!

Now everyone knows that certain foods just aren’t good for you. Also, I’m sure people know of certain foods that cause people in a 10 ft radius to run away, plugging their nose in fear. So to me, it only seems logical that if you’re eating a food that causes such an unpleasant response to you and those around you, it might not be so good for you.

If somebody doesn’t bathe and they smell like ass, chances are you don’t want to be around them. Why is that? Why do we find THAT smell to be so offensive? It’s simply because evolution says those smells tend to correlate with people that are often:

• unhealthy (not living a clean lifestyle)
  • diseased (again, not clean, sickly)
  • toxic (smells indicate the body trying to detox)
  • low-status (can’t afford basic hygiene maintenance)
  • low-selfesteem (doesn’t bother to keep themselves up)
  • unfavorable mating material (not the best chances of survival)

It’s basically natures warning system for ourselves and others that we should either change what we’re doing to get healthier, or to stay away from somebody that can possibly pose a threat to our wellbeing. It’s nature and human instinct — not superficial politically correct nonsense. It’s logical, and makes total sense.

With all the being said, now that I’m very healthy with a low toxic load, I find people that eat loads or garlic and onions to reek (kind of like leek — oh so clever). Not only their breath, but you can smell it in their sweat. The body is trying to detox it anyway it can, and if it’s that offensive, chances are it’s probably not the best food for you (or them).

So I did some research and found a few really interesting things:

• They contain allicin. It is anti­ fungal as well as antibiotic, that is most likely used to prevent the plant from being eaten by fungus, bacterias, and other animals. Farmers can strategically place them in their gardens to prevent animals from getting at other crops. If animals instincts tell them to avoid them… how are we so much smarter?
  • Onions can induce anemia in animals (Pierce, KR. Et al. “Acute hemolytic anemia caused by wild onion poisoning in horses.” J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1972 Feb 1;160(3):323–7.)
  • Reiki practitioners explain that garlic and onions are among the first substances to be expelled from a person’s system – along with tobacco, alcohol and pharmaceutical medications.
  • Back in the 1980’s, in his research on human brain function, Dr Robert [Bob] C. Beck, DSc. found that garlic has a detrimental effect on the brain. He found that in fact garlic is toxic to humans because its sulphone hydroxyl ions penetrate the blood-brain barrier and are poisonous to brain cells.

Dr Beck explained that as far back as the 1950s it was known that garlic reduced reaction time by two to three times when consumed by pilots taking flight tests. This is because the toxic effects of garlic desynchronize brain waves. “The flight surgeon would come around every month and remind all of us: “Don’t you dare touch any garlic 72 hours before you fly one of our airplanes, because it’ll double or triple your reaction time. You’re three times slower than you would be if you’d not had a few drops of garlic.“

In my research that chemical is NOT found in red onions, so that’s considered more “safe”.
  • The Taoists realized thousands of years ago that plants of the alliaceous family were detrimental to humans in their healthy state. In his writings, one sage Tsang-Tsze described the Alliums as the “five fragrant or spicy scented vegetables” — that each have a detrimental effect on one of the following five organs — liver, spleen, lungs, kidneys, and heart. Specifically, onions are harmful to the lungs, garlic to the heart, leeks to the spleen, chives to the liver and spring onions to the kidneys.

Tsang-Tsze said that these pungent vegetables contain five different kinds of enzymes which cause “reactions of repulsive breath, extra-foul odour from perspiration and bowel movements, and lead to lewd indulgences, enhance agitations, anxieties and aggressiveness,” especially when eaten raw.
  • According to Ayurveda, India’s classic medical science, foods are grouped into three categories - sattvic, rajasic and tamasic - foods in the modes of goodness, passion and ignorance. Onions and garlic, and the other alliaceous plants are classified as rajasic and tamasic, which means that they increase passion and ignorance.

Rajasic and tamasic foods are also not used because they are detrimental to meditation and devotions. “Garlic and onions are both rajasic and tamasic, and are forbidden to yogis because they root the consciousness more firmly in the body”, says well-known authority on Ayurveda, Dr.Robert E.Svoboda.

I’m part Italian, so giving up garlic and onions for me was pretty difficult on a cooked food diet. It wasn’t so bad now that I eat mostly raw, but you’d be suppressed how many recipes call for garlic and onions. Now I’m sure a little bit of seasoning here and there isn’t gonna hurt me — but generally speaking, I don’t add any if can avoid it.

When I did my initial garlic and onion detox, I had some incredible results. First off, it helped with my dark circles under my eyes a little bit (though I did detox from regular peanuts as well). Second, and most profoundly, all that garlic and onion was detoxing through my nose! Let me explain. Every time I took a shower and washed my face, I could literally smell the onion garlic scent on my fingers.

My entire body was detoxing the garlic and onion through the sweat on my nose.

I was perplexed  …maybe it was just residual smell from my fingers.

It wasn’t. Each day I got into the shower, I would rub my nose and the natural face oils would get on my finger. I would smell my fingers and BOOM! That smell again. I could smell it on my nose from my nose too. Yeah I know this sounds kinda weird and gross, but that’s the whole point of it. My entire body was detoxing the garlic and onion through the sweat on my nose. It was so bizarre.

After I think about 2 weeks, it finally went away, and I no longer smelled garlic and onions on my nose. Crazy. Though to me, it meant my body was trying to remove whatever toxins were built up, and it was all finally out of my system. That shit doesn’t happen when you eat apples. You don’t go through 2 weeks of “apple nose” when you stop eating them. Proof enough for me that they weren’t so good.

As of now, knowing that red (purple, super high color on the energy spectrum) onions don’t have that same toxic chemical as the story above about pilots and reaction time, I do at times add it to guacamole or other dishes. Since it’s such a potent thing for me, I only need a tiny amount to add that extra kick. Garlic is hard to avoid, as it’s everywhere, but I minimize my consumption as much as possible.

I have to admit that I have a really extremely healthy, all-natural and organic, low toxic lifestyle (sad that it’s considered extreme), so I’m hyper in-tune and aware of myself and others, thus I probably notice a more drastic chance from something as simple as removing 2 foods from my diet than an average person on the SAD. While I do acknowledge there may be some health benefits to these foods, for me, my immune system is so strong and I get plenty of what I need elsewhere, that the cons of eating these foods greatly outweighs the benefits for me, personally. For others at certain times in their life, it may be good — I have no idea.

Who knows, maybe you would see a difference in your body odor, breath, and agility by removing (or at least greatly reducing) these foods as well! Be sure to let me know if you’ve had any experience with this, and what your results were. Remember to think for yourself and do what feels right and makes sense to you, this is my own experience — not a dogma for others, or even myself. In a few years my body could change, who knows.

…I guess those vampire hunters really were onto something. Be well!

UPDATE: I have disabled comments on this post because of the overwhelming rudeness, arrogance, and disdain from people who disagree with this idea. It’s fine to disagree, and I welcome other thoughts as possibilities – but I will NOT tolerate such condescending attitudes towards other commenters or myself from such hateful intentions.

Get more exclusive content like this by signing up now:

Wondering about privacy or what you'll be getting? Take a peek.

126 Comments on “Why I Don’t Eat Toxic Garlic Or Onions”

1. Sam says:

Wow. This is the most daft thing I have ever read. Did you actually get dizzy spinning all that nonsense?

1. Drew Gerald says:

No, my balance is enjoying quite an equilibrium, but I’m excited that I have my first hater!

2. Beyond-Within says:

Wonderful website. Plenty of useful info here. I’m sending it to a few buddies and additionally sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you on your sweat!

3. Vasco Brazão says:

It seems to me from reading this article (http://vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantreport/dumbing-down-society-part-3-how-to-reverse-its-effects/) that garlic is in fact good for the body, because it helps with detox. What are you thoughts?

Also, I’ve jsut started my own personal development website (http://myquestforgrowth.blogspot.com/) and want you to know that I’ll definitely link back to this site. I haven0t had the chance to read much yet, but so far it seems veyr promising!

1. Drew Gerald says:

I don’t disagree it may have those benefits, but for me, those can be achieved by other foods without the side effects I experience. It’s not the antichrist by any means, it’s just not something I suggest consuming large quantities of very often if peak health is desired.

4. Laibrajan says:

Beck isn’t a credible source. In the speech you are referring to, he said that he would give people a brain scan after they ate garlic in their lunch and they were clinically brain dead. That is ridiculous hyperbole and pseudo-science.

1. Drew Gerald says:

Thanks for sharing, always something to look into! Pseudo-science is my favorite, and tends to be a commonality between all the crazies and misfits that end up radically evolving the human race throughout history. I think we should all be more ridiculous once in a while, yes?

5. Botros Abu Schmais says:

Very silly and stupid !! Drew Gerald should be prevented from posting such material , lack of any scientific support *** TO ALL READERS : please be careful reading this ..poor and untrue !

1. Drew Gerald says:

My own experience is stupid and silly? You want to take away my first amendment rights for sharing my research? You like sweating and smelling offensive garlic smells?

I’m simply giving perspective from my own experience and other modalities, I never said they never have their place forever ever — just not in everyday cooking in my own experience.

Thanks for your concern of my readers though, I’m sure they will appreciate your oppressiveness and own lack of scientific support in your erratic rebuttle, but mostly, your concern for them. All perspectives are welcome :)

2. Sky Von says:

I so agree with the lack of a specific support for the last readers rebuttal. We NOT HAVE TO DISPLAY OUR AGGRESSION, but an educated opinion with some ways of pointing to where we have found what proves our fact finding mission so that others may learn would be beneficial to us all. Perhaps Mister Botros has incorporated much red meat in his diet and has a feeling to be more aggressive than peaceful? Thank you Drew for posting your own experiences, as a free world of readers, we will take away what is useful to us and discard information that is not conducive to our ways of life while keeping an open mind. I am unbiased to one or the other person on this post, but I do condone an unemotional no aggressive audience that is eager to post proof of findings rather than insult the writer. It simply doesn’t help the reader to seem credible, but show a slanderous action. Please exercise, tolerance of others and be humble to new ideas. SkyVon

3. Sky Von says:

6. yahya says:

if garlic and onin are toxic ‚even though these are
    mentioned in Quraan ‚then what should we eat ?
    If garlic and onion are harmful GOD will not allow us to eat
    this report should be studied and revised carefully

1. Drew Gerald says:

I don’t have any idea what GOD allows or doesn’t, I personally don’t follow religious texts or base my diet on dogma without it making sense. I included those doctrines as interesting history pieces with explanations on why it is so. If that’s your deal, then cool — but it’s not for most of my audience.

What should we eat? You say that like garlic and onions are your entire diet. There’s thousands of other healthy foods to eat you know. Maybe you don’t want tip-top high performance diet and would rather eat leeks. That’s cool, I just noticed the benefit in mine and many others by removing most of it. I explicitly stated that different foods at different times for different people may or may not be the best thing for them.

7. Syboney says:

Drew, I agree with you 100%. I had a bad experience with garlic this morning, and it does slow your thought process. I was juicing and decided to add a few cloves of garlic and let me tell you it was a bad idea. I drank the juice as I normally do and within 60 seconds my body just expelled it. I had the worst burning sensation as it was going down my tummy, never again will I do that… But one other thing, I had to write my address on a few letters I was getting ready to mail out and I swear I could not remember why I needed the envelopes and just stared at them for a good 5 minutes, finally I remembered but as I was writing my address, I was thinking of my old address, I didn’t realize this until I was getting ready to mail my letters. It’s nearly 1pm and I kid you not, I’m still feeling funny. Weird that I came across your post because I was googleing to see if Garlic could be toxic. Thanks for the post.

1. Drew Gerald says:

You’re welcome! Who knows if it was just the combination or what, but it’s nice to see you so aware of your response. Again everyone takes things differently, but I’ve noticed only benefits from keeping my garlic and onion intake minimal. No harm in a dash here or there I reckon, but cloves of garlic juices seems like a mighty dose! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

8. Kristen says:

Very interesting read…

I’m a student of herbalism, and I especially find it interesting from that worldview. Especially when garlic and onions are some of the easiest plants to use medicinally! (And garlic is used in some treatments of heart related illness, with an affinity for helping lung conditions…)

Although I do admit that not everyone’s constitution may be suited for them. I may have to write a rebuttal post on my own blog :-)

1. Drew Gerald says:

Thanks for the open-minded comment. I think people take this post a bit too personal and offensive, even though it’s obviously just simply some research and personal experience. I do think that short term uses for garlic in a few instances can be very beneficial, but in a healthy body with no need, I find large doses produce undesirable side effects.

9. Dragos Mihai Nuta says:

this stuff is so untrue. almost all of romanian, russian and bulgarian people eat a lot of garlic, and it keeps them healthy, it’s used as a cure to stomach ache, colds, acne, it strengthens the immune system, it repels mosquitoes , etc.
    yeah, it does make your breath smell, but really, is it that bad?

1. Drew Gerald says:

I never said it doesn’t have any benefits at all. Of course it does. But just because entire cultures do something, doesn’t mean it’s the optimal thing to do. I can get all those health benefits from other plants without the side effects myself and others experience. Thanks for your comment.

10. Sunday Sidetrips | Sage and Chocolate says:

[…] found an interesting man blog the other day and one of the more interesting articles is Why I Don’t Eat Toxic Garlic and Onions. I may have to write a rebuttal to post :-) because I think that they rock, but his research and […]

11. meatbun says:

Thank you for posting this informative article. I suffer from cranial hyperhyrosis. One of my treatments is to stay away from consuming garlic and onions. I didn’t believe this at first, but it helped. I suddenly realized how much garlic and onions are in foods these days. I just learn to improvise dishes that require garlic and/or onions. Again, thank you for your informative article. You will always have the nay-sayers…that’s just the internet. But know that you have a majority of supporters, including myself!

1. Drew Gerald says:

Thank you for your support, it means a lot! Glad you were able to improve your condition by using similar advice.

12. Angie Lam says:

So true! Buddha already said so 2500 yrs ago… Thx.

1. Drew Gerald says:

You’re welcome! Any source that says Buddha says this that you can share?

2. Reyna Takei says:

This article is interesting.

13. Anonymous says:

Drew and botros are both right. If a person is 100% healthy, and he takes small amounts of garlic, it will be absorbed by the small intestine and used to heal everything that’s out of order such as cancer. BUT, if a person has celiac disease/leaky gut (which everyone has these days) the garlic further damages and smooths out the intestine. Then candida yeast, parasites, bad bacteria take over the intestines and the body since there’s no competition.

The brain and intestines are linked causing cravings for everything that further damages the intestinal lining (garlic, lemons, sour food, salty and bitter food, anything harsh). This is what I call the matabolism of the devil. The cure is to eat plain yogurt, egg yolk and sour cream for 3 days. The cholesterol heals the lining. The mucus reforms and allows the friendly bacteria to situate into it (the middle men), and the lining to heal. Then a Sattvic diet is used to preserve and continue the healing.

If you think what I said is bullshit, all I can say is that I’m speaking from experience. Btw, I want to repeat: VERY FEW PEOPLE DON’T HAVE LEAKY GUT/CELIAC DISEASE. Judging by Drew’s complexion, he is healthy.

Email me if you have questions. (cleft_asunder@yahoo.com)
    Further info on this topic:

1. Drew Gerald says:

Thanks for the awesome information. I learned some pretty cool stuff from your post, we’re all on a journey at different points and what works for some won’t work for all. You explained this in a way that makes sense, I appreciate it.

14. Randall Selinger says:

Er, think for yourself people and do your own research. You just describe your limited personal experience. My own contradicts a lot of what you say…typical of people in general, their egos always get in the way. Almost any ingested substance can be considered toxic in large enough amounts…if something works for you, fine, but we are all NOT the same, not even remotely.

1. Drew Gerald says:

Did you miss my entire article? I agree with you and flat out stated in plain English that we’re all different and this was just my personal experience, and for people to try it out if it works for them or not. There is no obsolete truth, this may be an answer for some, and not for others, but for me it was powerful.

15. Adam Fleming says:

I will teach you how to be a man”.
    Writes an article on how he’s stopped eating onions/garlic because its a little bit toxic.
    Smooth.

16. Zakaria Ouahmane says:

Thank you for sharing your research. What you wrote is very logical and understandable since it has been established, confirmed and agreed upon over the centuries. so if people now days refuse to accept it for what it is and for what it has been oh well it sounds like a personal issue after all but I just wanted to mark that 1430 years ago Prophet Mohammed S.A.W have previously warned and asked us (humans) not to consume Garlic and Onions due to the horrible unhealthy bad results during and after digestion causing the human body to experience Halitosis (stinking breath), Bromidrosis ( an awful and unpleasant body oder) and so on and on…
    with that said I just want to congratulate and thank you once again for taking the time to write this article sharing your experience with the intention to educate and enlighten us (the readers).
    with all respects thank you!

1. Drew Gerald says:

Thanks for sharing that tid bit of history with us, you’re welcome as well!

2. Drew Gerald says:

Thanks for sharing that tid bit of history with us, you’re welcome as well!

17. Cedrick Cedy Roy says:

I can’t don’t even know where to start hence I’m not even going to go into details but the ” facts ” in this article are absolutely & unequivocally untrue.

18. Cedrick Cedy Roy says:

1. Cedrick Cedy Roy says:

** I can’t minus the don’t.

2. Cedrick Cedy Roy says:

** I can’t minus the don’t.

3. Dox Starz says:

I love garlic & onions, this cannot be true.

4. Dox Starz says:

I love garlic & onions, this cannot be true.

5. Cedrick Cedy Roy says:

Actually, other way around. Wow I’m tired.

6. Cedrick Cedy Roy says:

** minus the ” can’t ”

7. Frank Black says:

Yuuup total b/s

8. Nick says:

Thanks for conirtbuting. It’s helped me understand the issues.

19. Gother Lee says:

Your theories based on garlic/& onions or so loopsided and ludicrous it made me wonder if you were working for Mr D.

Garlic and their families of alliiums are some of the most detoxifying foods for the liver. (Not toxifying!) This has been proven from years of research and the reason they’ve been used for thousands of years. If they were toxic cultures would’ve discontinued the use of them from fear of poisoning. In fact, these super alliums have been popular over a millennia and as of today are the 2nd most used staple in cuisines. (Next to tomatoes.)

So next time you go rambling about anything else with your limited personal experiences please do your homework or apply some commons sense in the matter.

1. Jesse Erickson Sutton says:

What I think you are implying is that just because we have been using garlic and onion as a “staple” in our foods today,that they are considered healthy. Do you consider canola or vegetable oil to be healthy? How about soy? Or rather, sugar and fast food? Because it is widely used and accepted i definitely would not consider proof Of its health. This writer has done out of the ordinary research and applied it to himself and has experienced benefits. Many others will do the same. Tomatoes can be an allergen, same with gluten, dairy, peanuts yada yada. The list goes on and the world won’t stop selling foods that people eat, even knowing it is bad.

2. Clark Rice says:

The author is using the subjective dislike of scents to make his argument, while citing an ancient religious dogma and a questionable anecdote about reaction time. The author didn’t bother to measure his own reaction time, did he? Garlic has been a staple forever. Food causing us to be unhealthy is a new phenomenon. Our ultra-poison diet of today is the reason we have to seek out these kinds of answers and avoid the poison soy and processed foods, but just because it makes you smell doesn’t mean its making you unhealthy or “rot” as one commenter suggested. You need to consume natural sulfur compounds, it is beneficial to you. You probably shouldn’t listen to someone who touts himself as a “polyman.” Someone else would have to give him this title, and then to be worthy of respect with that title, he would have to avoid describing himself as such.

3. Drew Gerald says:

A. I didn’t know there were rules about calling myself what I’d like, and how that affects my credibility — but thanks for the clarification. B. Health IS subjective — show me proof that all people react to all foods at all times the same way. Can’t do it. It’s my body, and that’s all I claimed. If garlic works for you great, if doesn’t, great. Find out for yourself: don’t listen to me, a doctor, a newsman, some insulting commenter here, or even a food company. Use the staple of science itself — experimentation and do what works for you and share your own findings without dogma… which is exactly what I’ve done in this article, and exactly the opposite of what every critic has.

20. Anonymous says:

Garlic, once eaten in large quantities (1+ cloves a day) changes the chemistry of the body. It becomes dependent on it. And like any drug, a repeat dose is necessary to feel good. Because it is an antibiotic, it kills most of the good bacteria, and due to it’s harshness it will damage the lining as well. It is said that garlic heals leaky gut/celiac disease, but I believe it causes them.

After the gut is damaged, food that enters is not absorbed. The body is supposed to absorb the nutrients and use them against disease, but how can it when the flora and bacteria are damaged/dead? The stores of nutrients in the body are depleted and mal-nutrition eventually results. It cannot even make stomach acid anymore! Nor can it even move the bowels because that requires energy and nutrients that aren’t there. But, you guessed it, you take garlic every meal and the digestion works and you feel “great.” This is the metabolism of the devil I was talking about. You feel good, but in the background something isn’t right.

Avoiding everything harsh such as alcohol, coffee, sour, pungent and bitter is mandatory. Healing the gut using the Vata diet is ideal. Eggs, butter, fats, raw milk (and such) are very beneficial to reverse this condition.

21. Anonymous says:

Excellent article by the way Drew.

22. Sky Von says:

Thank you for all of the much needed information that will be put to use in our household. To be honest we had been eating lots of inions and garlic, and yes our minds have seemed to have been scattered and unfocussed for the most part, I heard that Rosemary was also a neurotoxin. I say everything in moderation. We are going to take our own test and not include garlic and onion in our diet to see if there is an improvement to our daily lives brain wise. Cheers. SkyVon

23. Sky Von says:

1. Drew Gerald says:

That being said, I personally don’t hold myself to such a strict standard at this point. I try to exclude it as much as possible, but garlic and onion is so universal it happens. I just never add any. Keeping it as low as reasonably possible. People seem to think I’m saying they’ll DIE… No. Just reduce it as much as possible or do a detox and notice what happens. Experiment, just like you are doing. Thank you.

2. Sky Von says:

Plus, who wants a slow brain or foggy thinking? Don’t we want to be at our best with all cylinders firing? I for one do.

3. Sky Von says:

24. Tsvetina Yordanova says:

Your view is extremely subjective and one-sided. This is perfectly fine for posting on your own website of course.
    I do not think any educated individual with some common sense would rid his/her diet of onions and garlic solely based on this content, thankfully. My advice to the readers is to read wider than you have.

25. Jason Thomas says:

Onion and garlic is bad for all animals on the earth, garlic will destroy a dog or cat heart, but for our heart it makes us stronge if you shot a dog shot a human the both die so why do we eat things the hurt us and think its ok, we drink milk what animal drink milk as an adult, only drink milk when you are a baby, why do we drink some much calcium and have bone disease? Eat so much garlic and herb at hearts.

26. Derrick Brown says:

Beans make you gassy, which smells bad, so they are dangerous for your health.

Asparagus makes your pee smell funny, it’s poison.

Pineapple and kiwi make your sexual fluids taste like them, toxic.

Tomatoes kill you. My proof is that, thousands of years ago, the medieval people said that tomatoes are poison. (Ignore the fact that it was due to a reaction to the lead in their plates/utensils. Ancient civilizations know best when it comes to health.)

1. Drew Gerald says:

The tomatoes get me every time, ugh… and the water! Damn the water is poison too (ignore that it’s from the parasites and amoebas).

27. Anonymous says:

thank you so much for posting this! I just had garlic today and I am on a raw-vegan diet and my stomach has been hurting for three hours straight. it actually kills and now I know why. I will not be adding garlic to any of my dishes in the near future. I always had a gut-instinct that it wasn’t good for you because of the bad breath thing..

28. Jill Kanter says:

I don’t know what is right or wrong but what I do know is that sometimes I get terrible pains after eating and today it got so bad I cried. I thought it doesn’t make sense as I don’t eat huge portions and I am on a vegan diet, then I realised I haven’t had onion all week and I’ve just eaten it in my dish. It could be that I ate too much but I haven’t had pains all week and now I do so I’ll test your theory and lay off them for a bit and see what happens. Thanks.

1. Derrick Brown says:

You probably just have an ulcer or something along those lines. Yes, onions can agitate a condition like that, but so can dozens of other acidic foods. I would check in with a doctor if eating is that painful.

2. Drew Gerald says:

Like Derrick said, I would also suggest checking with your doctor if it’s really that painful. I’d also suggest an alternative natural holistic doctor for a second opinion as well before and medication or surgery. There’s so many variations and complexities going on inside all of us, that what’s good for somebody at one time many be bad another, and completely different for someone else, so there’s rarely a “probably”. Check with your gut intuition, do more research, and think for yourself — go with what makes sense and feels right to you. Get well!

3. Jill Kanter says:

Thanks…I have to be honest though, I laid off garlic and onions and since then the pain has gone away, yes it could be an ulcer so I’ll keep an eye and if it comes back then I’ll go see a doc. I’m out in the middle of no where though so seeing a doctor is a little difficult. I have an allergy to starch so sometimes it is triggered by potatoes…Is there starch in onions??

4. Jill Kanter says:

29. Tara Pagan says:

I am nearly 100% raw vegan, and keep hearing about garlic, onions, and hot peppers being bad for health. I have decided to try eliminating them for a while and observing any differences. Thank you for your article. The bad breathe issue is what makes the most sense to me.

30. Tara Pagan says:

1. Drew Gerald says:

Awesome, let me know of your results in the next couple weeks!

2. Tara Pagan says:

I definitely notice a difference already, since I stopped putting raw garlic and onions in my food, my sweat has no odor. I read the sulfur compounds in those things cause body odor.

31. Anonymous says:

I’ve been off garlic and onions since the turn of 2013. I read a number of other sites that suggested problems with these two and realised that on my Keto raw Paleo ultra low carb diet they weren’t necessary. The benefits to going raw Keto Paleo offered so many benefits I could forgo a lot of other foods and spices that might be suspect.

I have always listened to my body and as a child would not eat oranges or strawberries. Years later I found out that they were are very acidic, though raspberries, limes and lemons are not, and those are my favourite sweet pants foods. A healthy body, I suspect, may be better able to discern what food is healthy and what may not be so. All grains, legumes and high starch vegetables make me feel sluggish, give me gas and cause the body to smell. (Is that a body in the state of rotting?) When I ate a highly mixed diet from the three food kinds, protein, fat and sugars (aka carbohydrates and starches) I felt sluggish, had the usual illnesses even though I did all my own cooking and did not dine on junk food. When eating with friends who cooked low fat my teeth would suddenly become very sensitive. If I added mayo or saturated fat, the pain quickly vanished.

For me going without plant foods has given me energy, need for less sleep, I wake up every morning a quarter to seven regardless how late I go to bed, my body is slimmer, my skin has more healthy hews, and I see better and I haven’t had a cold or flue in years.

But that is my story. We all would benefit by listening to our bodies and finding the foods that keep and make us healthy.

1. Drew Gerald says:

Totally. The key is getting to a point where we can listen to our bodies for real — not the habits, addictions, parasites, or desensitization that mask it.

32. Joel Adkins says:

Eating too much of anything, even if healthy can hurt you. This article is rubbish. Yes, bacteria causes bad breath, but the bad breath from garlic and onions is different. Is the person that wrote this trying to keep people from eating garlic and onions as an effort to eliminate the bad breath they hate? C’mon now. Yes the odor is not pleasant…but that does not mean it’s unhealthy. This article is SAD indeed. What is even sadder is that people actually buy this nonsense. It’s a bit superficial to try to get people to stop eating something because you don’t like the way it smells. Ignorance in abundance. This article is not based in actual science. It’s based on “eww that stinks.…keep it and anyone that eats it away from me blagh!” You may not have garlic odors teeming off of you, but certainly a fair amount of ignorance.

1. Drew Gerald says:

I don’t care what anyone else eats Joel, nor am I trying to stop anyone from eating anything. If you actually read the entire article and moved past that single point, you might see I’m simply sharing my experience of what worked for me in a non-dogmatic way, bringing in ideas from many schools of thought. No need for childish insults because you disagree and refuse to do your own experimentation (which is at the heart of “scientific”, BTW). If I helped one person from this improve their life, it’s worth it. You don’t have to be open-minded, but I do expect you to be a bit more mature if you’re going to comment. Thank you.

33. Joel Adkins says:

You win bro. I should have taken the time to read the entire article before judging. Either way, the original part of my comment stands. True, too much of anything is a not a good thing, no matter how good it is for you. Even water can kill you if you drink too much. Garlic is good for you though. There is tons on tons of resources out there that says so.

1. Drew Gerald says:

Thank you for taking the time to come back and explore some more, I appreciate your response this time which is much more conversational — while still being true to what you think. I agree, too much of anything can. Of course it can handle it, our bodies can ‘handle’ 50 years of fast food; however, is it optimal for our wellbeing? I don’t ban garlic from my life, but I am now much more aware of its effects when I do indulge. My perspective on health is optimal longevity, and I have more of an extreme stance — I do many cleanses, detoxes, organic raw supplement experimentation, etc. It’s not really about winning, but hoping that even if this article doesn’t make sense to you, something else I’ve written about can improve your life. Cheers Joel!

34. Juan Bosco Cuadra Ibarguchi says:

In ayurveda garlic along with ginger are considered a panacea for multiple diseases

35. Sarah Ginny'sMummy Daniels says:

if i eat the smallest amount of garlic in food i feel weak, confused and tired. it seriously bothers me. i can taste it in the back of my mouth afterwards amnd its like industrial cleaner. it also makes me gassy.

36. Noelle Buscher says:

I’m sure many of the naysayer comments believe that chemtrails are contrails and electrotherapy is a bunch of snake oil and anything outside of their mainstream media realm is ‘conspiracy theorist bs’. Personally, I am AWAKE and you make some very interesting observations about garlic. I do know that onions (not red?) are toxic. People think that potato salad causes food poisoning because of the ‘mayo’. It is the onions. I’m going to start paying attention to how I feel after I eat garlic. Maybe it’s not just the pasta/carbs that makes us tired!

1. Drew Gerald says:

Anytime people see ideas that are outside of their current acceptable model of reality, their fear becomes aroused and they result to insults, angry attacks using phrases such as “quack”, “pseudo”, and other highbrow terms meant to belittle and outcast the “dangerous” person. I immediately dismiss such people who are closed minded and filled with hate and ignorance, as there’s no reasoning. Just because we’ve done something for 1000’s of years doesn’t mean it’s the best way… hasn’t science itself proved this over and over again? I applaud your willingness to experiment for yourself and see what makes you feel better or not with your own mind, and not to stick to a dogma that encourages intolerance. The cleaner and purer the foods, the better :) Please let me know what you discover!

2. Simone Fougère says:

To both Noelle. and Drew, great comments. Found this post today — think you might like it ;) much love, keep up the awesome, much needed work !!! <3 http://www.disclose.tv/news/How_To_Respond_To_An_AntiConspiracy_Theorist/94007

37. Lisa Hodgson says:

I think that your logic is flawed in relation to animals and pests. E.g. my herb garden does not get eaten by any animals and also is free from pests, by your logic lavender, oregano, thyme, chamomile is also toxic? Further, citrus, chilli, peppers etc would also be toxic to humans. It also looks to me like you have selected the science you presented to support your argument. E.g. http://www.garlic-central.com/garlic-health.html there is so much science that demonstrates that garlic is beneficial to health, how come you didn’t find any?

1. Drew Gerald says:

I’m sure there are plenty of health benefits for certain things about garlic, I never claimed there aren’t some people that garlic helps with things. However, I have a very clean and pure system as compared to a lot of people on poor diets, and am much more sensitive than most. So I react different to things, not better or worse, just different. I’m not making an argument, I’m showing another perspective that has benefited me. That website also says there are side effects, which because I don’t need any of it’s beneficial properties, I get more undesirable effects. The benefits it may have I can get from other sources that don’t have any ill effects for me. That’s basically all my point is. Whatever it can do, I have other things that can do it better, so I don’t prefer it. No fight, no dissing, just my experience and observation :)

38. Leonie Bessant says:

For most of the history of Europe we all stunk by modern standards, linking evolutionary fitness to cleanliness is uninformed. Also sulfur crested cockatoos are obsessed with eating garlic, they dig up entire commercial crops.They are very smart fellows! Also various types of beetles eat onions and fungi think they are both fantastic.

1. Eric Svendsen says:

Garlic has a small amount of the element for our immune system,alchemy.Shitake mushrooms have more ‚enoki mushrooms have more again

2. Drew Gerald says:

You may be completely right! …however those creatures aren’t me. I personally do better without these, what’s good for one organism doesn’t mean it’s good for another, at all times.

39. Jacko Craig says:

If I could write “every BODY is different”, one million times on this page and force everyone to read and understand it, then I would, but I can’t. So come on, bring on the “guidelines”. I can’t wait. To avoid them.

40. Santo Wu says:

As chinese , I suggest you read more chinese book and medicine about Onion and garlic,
    confusius never said that such of things , chiense medicine never bann garlic or onion ,
    your articles low class and out of standard..

41. Cheryl Frazier Pace says:

I think you’re doing a wonderful job researching and sharing your knowledge. Very interesting! As teacher may I make a suggestion? Purely constructive. Perhaps you might consider having someone edit your blogs (for spelling and grammar) before posting them. Information is more credible when it doesn’t contain lots of grammatical errors & it would be a shame if someone tuned you out because of it. You have so much to offer! :)

Very interesting information on Ayurveda! I have recently heard of it and wondered what it was. Best of luck to you!
    ~Peace

42. Tavish Tremaine says:

Funny. Event hough I don’t think Onions and garlic are really poisonous, this article holds an interesting description I can partly relate to.
    When I eat onions or garlic, but mostly when I eat onions, especially roasted in fat, then one or two hours later the back of my nose smells like roasted onions. But this disappears after a few hours more, not days or weeks. I have no real explanation for this too.

43. Kawana Rose Hanick says:

Wow, is all I can say. It’s amazing how so many have jumped in and started being rude and yes it seems as if some have completely failed to read the article. While I’m not completely in agreement with it myself, I have noticed some things about garlic and onions. I have not experimented with these suspicions though. I can say this; My own mother can not eat garlic or onions. If she does she has heart palpitations and her heart races. She also has this happen with celery but to a much smaller degree. I have recently started to notice the same effect on myself when I eat either raw onions or garlic. I do firmly believe however that not everyone is the same. That’s why Doctors can only say they are “PRACTICING MEDICINE” it’s not an exact science and how could it be with each person reacting on a completely different level than the next. No two people are the same. They may have similarities but inevitably they are different. It is possible for onion and garlic to poison people that my be super sensitive to the chemical make up. Yet, there are those out there that do not harbor a negative feeling towards the smell of garlic and onions. I am one such person. If my hubby eats garlic, I will too, it does cancel out the whole garlic breath thing. I do know that people who have a high intolerance for smells tend to have more sensitivities to various foods. This is something that I have noticed over the years personally. Folks don’t be rude. And don’t throw back ridiculous scientific findings. I have also learned over the years that if you want to find supporting evidence for your cause you can. Anyone can find just about anything they want on the internet to support an idea. That does not make it true. This person has just done his own research and decided for himself that these are no good.(and he found some things he thought was interesting;hence the delayed reaction times) And up until a few centuries ago the tomato was considered poisonous and evil. Carrots are naturally “white’. Garlic may just be poisonous to some of us. Just because you are not actively allergic to something does not mean it does not still have a negative effect on you.

44. Joseph Breckenridge Jr. says:

This is a interesting article. A few years ago I would have read this laughed it off and went about my day. I was a huge garlic fan. Used it in almost everything I cooked. Not onions I was never a onion fan at all except maybe red or green onion every once on a while. A few years ago my ten year spiritual study/quest I was on took some dramatic turns for the good. One night I was eating food with garlic and noticed I had a nasty aftertaste and the whole garlic sweating thing you mentioned for at least a day or two. I tried various forms of garlic and different meals with it. Trying to see if it was some other ingredient that caused that. Nope no luck. It was garlic. Weird since my whole life it never bothered me. I now avoid garlic in anyway I can. Or if I have to cook with it a small trivial amount.

45. Edith-Yvonne Morales says:

Since becoming pregnant I developed an aversion to all unhealthy foods that I once used to enjoy. Anything fried, oily, white bread, soda, hot dogs– I kid you not, anything unhealthy I can not stomach, it literally comes right out! However I also could not stand the smell of onions or garlic. I used to love them both ate them allll the time, it really perplexed me and my husband , because weren’t these healthy?? Why was my otherwise healthy food preferring of a baby so against even the smell of onions?? When I read this– I was like” yay! I’m not crazy!” Pregnancy has been a great experience in realizing what I should and should not be putting into my body.

46. Jeff Brown says:

Very interesting; what you mentioned regarding Dr Beck’s research. I have always had some neurological responses to eating garlic, making my mind more hyper. The last few years this has only intensified, now the effect is more like a shot of caffeine, which causes insomnia. I eat red onions all the time though and have no bad affects that I know of.

47. Ken Cohen says:

There’s nothing in the scientific literature about sulphone hydroxyl in alliums being “toxic” to the brain. Bob Becker invented that. There are many references that suggest garlic and onions having anti-infectious properties and the ability to modestly lower blood lipids. Sattvic, rajasic and tamasic are properties in yoga dietetics that refer to the energetics of a food. A food cannot be both rajasic and tamasic according to that system. Alliums are, in fact, considered rajasic… that is, they insight the passions. Since yogis are supposed to avoid sex, this makes sense from a yogic point of view. Most of us are not seeking to quell our sexuality. Ayurveda accepts alliums as appropriate for some people (based on the vata, pitta, kapha system). You cite a study about horses being poisoned by wild onions as support for your position, Drew, yet when Leonie Bessant stated that cockatoos and certain beetles seek out alliums you reply that those creatures aren’t you. Is a horse you? From first hand experience, I can tell you that smelling of garlic is not necessarily a sexual turn off. I’ve been agreement with two long term partners that the scent of garlic is enticing and that it was fine to reek (yes, as in leek) of it. Why try to present mis-information about alliums instead of simply stating that onions or garlic don’t agree with you, or that you find the smell repulsive?

48. Ken Cohen says:

According to research published in both The Journal of Neurochemistry and Nature Reviews Neuroscience, rosemary may actually be neuroprotective! It may help prevent or slow the progression of alzheimer’s dementia.

49. Melting Sky says:

I actually get a strange sickening inebriation from eating large amounts of raw onions usually accompanied by a headache and a 30 point spike in blood pressure. It took me years to connect the two since I generally don’t eat enough raw onion at any one time to trigger the more acute symptoms but rather just a mild nausea and brain fog which could have been caused by anything from fatigue to low blood sugar etc. After getting very ill from eating a dish that was about 1/4 onion by weight I decided to test my theory by eating a whole raw onion to see what would happen. It seriously fucked me up. Very disorientating, more so than cannabis or alcohol with a serious deep throbbing headache that came with it and serious heart pounding. My blood pressure spiked massively. There was lots of woosey, dizzy type brain fog along with moderate euphoria. It seriously took me be surprise and I had to cancel my afternoon plans. Long story made short, I don’t eat raw onions anymore and avoid large amounts of cooked ones. It’s made a difference to my overall health because I used to love onions and ate the regularly unaware that they were tied to some of my reoccurring health problems.

I have since looked this up on the net to see if I just have an allergy or something but apparently its not just a histamine reaction. Some people are just intolerant to the chemical defenses onions, garlic and other related plants produce to keep from being eaten. It is highly toxic to many animals. You can kill your dog or cat by feeding them enough onions and its a great insecticide. I think most people’s bodies can handle it without a problem but I just really don’t do well with raw onion. It took me years to figure out what was making me ill. If you think onions might be a problem for you the fastest way you can find out is sit down and eat a whole one raw and see what happens to you. Then again if it is a ture allergy that might just put you into anaphalaxic shock and kill you so maybe that’s not such a good idea of you get allergy type symptoms from onions like hives, itching etc. I guess you could also go on an onion free diet for a while and see if you feel better but its easier to get a placebo effect that way since feeling slightly better is much more easily imagined than say a blinding migraine, vomiting and inebriation.

50. Rachael Ann Finfrock Tomaro says:

Drew Gerald ,
    My only problem with your statements and postures on onions and garlic, are that they are only true for a portion of society. Just as there is a vast world of grey between black and white, so there is too in how things affect people. Onions clean the blood system of impurities and are amazing for reducing. Garlic, when aged is NOT strong in its smell or in your sweat, but it is a truly WONDERFUL natural antibiotic! If you are going to speak as if you are an authority (because that is how you come over, very well spoken), then please give a rounded opinion realizing that not everyone is the same, and you actually may be misinforming individuals that these substances could help. That would be a much bigger shame than smelling bad. What you actually seem to have hit upon is that for whatever reasons, often chemical imbalances or other toxins in your system, individuals are allergic to the onions and garlic, because the tiredness and other effects you are discussing are symptoms of allergic reactions. Also, instead of forgoing the usual health BENEFITS of these foods if only for bad breath, try a tongue brush. I am not being flippant, it is in the texture of the tongue that bacteria hide and if you scrub your tongue efficiently, these odors or any others will no longer be a problem.

51. Lance Lane says:

I saw a post on here in regards to the higer acidty content of oranges and strawberries over lemons and limes causing there body to react negativley to said oranges and strawberries. Not only this but said they read information in regards confirming this. Well we find ourselves in an interesting situation due to the fact that it is exactly the opposite. Drew, you as the author of this post being so much about diet may have wanted to point this out to them. The fact is Oranges and strawberries both contain a PH of 3.0−4.0 depending on type and ripeness. Lemons and limes on the other hand are around 2.0−2.4 on average. This means that Lemons and Limes can be upto 100x more acidic than strawberries and oranges and could never be less acidic without dilution. This is obvious by the fact that it is much harder to eat raw lemons and limes than it is strawberries and oranges. I can also say that just by thinking about how acidic a lemon can be makes my salivate as if I just put a sour/tart lemon in my mouth. Further explaining this difference in acidity are the effects they can instantly have on your teeth and saliva lemons and limes causing much more tooth decay and saliva thickness. This means that there are other reasons causing your adverse reaction to strawberries and oranges which I can not verify exactly what they are without personally conversing with you more about what discomfort you feel.

As to drew and your misleading information about onions and garlic being “toxic…” Everything is dangerous in excess amounts of what the body is used to and can typically handle… Carrots can literally kill if you eat to many of them through vitamin a poisoning. This the point where your skin and nails begin to turn orange yellow and nasty side affects such as blurred vision,liver damage, dizziness, changes in consciousness, and Dozens of other side affects begin to take place. Does this make carrots toxic? Absolutely not as they are one of the healthier things you can eat. With the intense flavor/scent of garlic/onion it is obvious that it would take much less to ingest excess amounts of such. Nobody should go out eating whole bulbs of garlic raw unless you are aware of its affects on your body or have started some kind of pinworm treatment at a physician and/or healers suggestion.

Now lets get into your over sensitivity to these body/mouth odors that can be undoubtedly repugnant and your basis of this being looked at as proof of its unhealthiness. The scent of the garlic/onion is the exact same scent it has leaving the body. This is much like asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, collars, cabbage, for non vegans fish and other aquatic based foods such as shellfish. Have you ever smelled the urine of a person who just ate a good amounts worth of asparagus? Their urine and armpits have a smell resembling that of a dead freshwater turtle that has been decaying in water for hours. I know this personally as a teen my childhood turtle died while I was at school. The body constantly releases the toxins of EVERYTHING we eat whether you smell them or not. Not many greens have an immense smell to them and this is why you would rarely notice it as opposed to something cheese or onions/garlic. However, this lack of smell does not mean lack of toxins. Sulfur is the reason for the smell in onions,garlic, cabbage, brussel sprouts, bok choy, etc and not the toxins. Sulfur is not only important to the human body but if there is not enough for your plants you depend on they would begin to decline. All fruits and vegetables contain toxins whether they are completely pesticide free or not. Obviously the cleaner and more natural the source the better the product but all soils are generally contaminated and lets face the fact that our air and water is polluted to completely undesireable levels. This all in one way or another makes it into your food whether you like it or not and will be handled by your kidneys and liver expelled via sweat, urine, and bowel movements. However the key here will remain moderation. I am sure you are well aware that moderation much like what you eat are the keys to a healthy diet. As for Dr. beck and his studies I personally tested this years ago when i read about it. I love onions,garlic, and drag racing at the local race track so this made for a very easy test but still not a completely stable test environment. None the less, I have a typical reaction time of .063-.070 seconds while not worrying about anything other than driving. On my way to the track which is ten minutes away I ate two medium sized cloves of raw garlic. 1/4th of the amount I would put into a garlic pasta with roughly eight serving sizes. After a thirty minute wait I was able to do my first run. A Reaction time of .065 . This is right a long the average for a professional drag racer… I brought three more cloves with me and ate them after the run. After a roughly a fifteen minute wait. The next reaction time was .068 yet again still in the average of professional drag racers. This difference in reaction time is rather average for somebody who is not even eating garlic while at the track. Is it just my body? Maybe it is due to the fact that I eat garlic on a regular basis? Either way the three to four times slower reaction time would have to be based on having completely too much garlic. Nobody should really be eating six garlic cloves to themselves in a one hour period as it is truly unnecessary and it takes minimal garlic to spice up a meal. That is unless you are doing a pinworm cleanse or something in that realm of possibility. Either way, more power to you for doing what you believe however you should aim to not spread misleading information as it is doing the exact opposite of what I am sure you are aiming to do and increase the health/lives of others. The key will always be moderation. Thanks all and have a great life.

52. Lance Lane says:

Would like to point out that some people could easily be allergic or have another negative reaction to garlic. From what I am aware most people don’t. This is no different than somebody having different side affects to any other foods such as peanuts,meat,etc and even things such a bee stings. We are all different but still very similar. Some have troubles that many don’t. Thanks again and happy lives folks. Remember to always do your own research from multiple sources with differing views as it is up to you much like Drew to make a decision on what you feel is right for you. You don’t need onions and garlic to live but you don’t need any specific plant to live. Many of them have similar vitamins and minerals with some being much more rich in said vitamins and minerals

53. Brent Gourley says:

Jesse Erickson Sutton How about the fact that I eat garlic, onions, and peppers all the time and rarely get sick? I also am very energetic for my age and when I do get sick, I make soup and add uncooked garlic, onions, and Cayenne pepper, and feel 100% better 12 hours later (24 for flu).

The writer of the article is either a doctor who wants people to go to the doctor instead of self healing or is clueless.

54. Deirdre Wall says:

So I guess this means you don’t drink any alcohol, either?

55. Aaron Bennett says:

I personally eat raw garlic because it does in fact help fight off viruses in your body, I get bronchitis every year around this time when the weather changes and I hate man made medicine, so I eat garlic and it works, it’s like a natural penicillin. Bad breath, gas? Oh well… Vegetables, herbs and plants were put on earth for us to consume and they all have different side effects as well as benefits, take the good with the bad. Some say dandelions are good for health, can’t say I’ve ever tried them, but I would if they cured something I was infected with, anything other than that crap doctors design from chemicals.Yes garlic does stink, it gives you bad breath and sometimes gas. But if you are sick, you aren’t going to be around too many people anyway so might as well stink it up and get better

56. Drew Gerald says:

Very rarely.

57. Drew Gerald says:

I’m providing ideas and research that I found, not misinformation or dogma. I pretty much did do just that, with perspectives not common to most people. Not sure why it bothers you, eat as much garlic as you want if it feels beneficial to you.

58. Drew Gerald says:

Of course, I didn’t say garlic doesn’t have any benefits. If you’re sick and garlic is the only thing you have that will help, go for it! That doesn’t mean you have to eat it everyday all year. The thing is, there are thousands of other natural plants that can help fight off viruses, etc. Garlic isn’t the only solution for everybody. We have options, to both eat it or something else — whatever works for the person. It’s just that most people have no idea what “works” for them. Thanks for the logical, level-headed comment :)

59. Marcus DiMarco says:

Um… I think garlic is a miracle “drug” healing herb. It was used to prevent people from getting plague in the middle ages. Does it ground you in the body? Yes because it kills the bacteria in the intestines that actiate cannaboid receptors.

Garlic will keep you fromgetting a cold and flu forever as long as you take it raw at least once a week.

Mice have been shown to extend their lifespan by 50% by living in a germ free environment. A pseudo germ free environment will mimic that using garlic or other methods I won’t go into here.

Garlic will boost testosterone by killing the bacteria in the intestines that lower it.

Garlic will help clear out the numerous hidden infections that we all have in the body. These infections will lead to all sorts of terminal diseases, which is why we have to kill them now.

Garlic is anyones best bet to life a longer and healthier life.

60. Marcus DiMarco says:

Drew what was your garlic detox? Eating a lot of garlic and onions?

61. Glenda Sherrell says:

It’s not just you who feels this way. Apparently the BBC found it to be bad for you too. Personally, I love garlic and peanuts, but I’ve been hearing about how bad they are. Guess I’ll cut back and see what happens. Maybe I can use shallots instead? I heard if you take the center “stem” out of the garlic bulb, it also helps in one not getting bad breath. Wiki has a great page all about the benefits and toxic effects of garlic as well. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1939485.stm

62. Drew Gerald says:

This may be true, however, there are dozens if not hundreds of other natural food sources that can do as good or a better job without the side effects, and I’m thriving extremely well without eating cloves of garlic every week. If it helps some people where they’re are great, but not everybody at all levels of health is my point.

63. Drew Gerald says:

Thanks for sharing!

64. Janine Vasilantonakis says:

I feel cleaner. Not sure how else to describe it. Except I like it. I am Greek so stopping garlic and onions was a complete rethink…but actually easy and I like feeling lighter…in a weird way.

65. Matthew Monson says:

its the wine

66. Janine Vasilantonakis says:

I still drink like a cape kanala.…..

67. Andria Macleod says:

I am addicted, cant imagine going without them

68. Scott Purser says:

This article is nothing short of hilarious… garlic, onions, and other organosulfur-containing vegetables are great for your health.
    How could you google allicin and not read that it’s healthy for you– that the same antibacterial and anti-fungal benefits it gave to the plant also apply to you?
    How could you read that it can cause anemia in high doses and not realize that this platelet-reducing effect is great for high blood pressure in moderation?
    Many things penetrate the brain-blood barrier, and most things are toxic in large amounts. Find me an article by a non-alternative scientist and I’ll be impressed.
    Be honest– do you really think “research” is googling keywords and finding articles that agree with your bias? Bad breath=bad health? Sigh.

69. Sammy Jxe says:

Look up for the document: The.Most.Important.Knowledge.You.would.Ever.Read.Implement.and.Live.up.to.Forever.pdf

70. Jessica Guichard says:

Because different animals metabolize different chemicals differently. Grape skin can cause kidney failure in dogs, but not in humans. So should we avoid grapes? No, because we are not the same species and have different needs and metabolisms.

71. Sidney Haylock says:

The writer never claimed to be writing a well rounded theory on why everyone on the planet should give up garlic. And FYI everything written is subjective. What else could it be..? Objective…? Please…!
    “Educated individual… with common sense” is a contradiction. You can be educated or have common sense but you can’t have both. Common sense tells you that if garlic makes you sick then you should stop eating it. Education “teaches” you that people have eaten garlic for thousands of years and studies have shown it to have healing properties and that you should be perfectly fine by continuing to eat it. So which way should you go…? Can’t go both ways right…?
    “My advice”..? Wait a minute… where in the article does it state that your advice was requested, needed, solicited or wanted…?
    “Read wider”..? How does one accomplish such a task…? You mean if I read more about the health benefits and then more about the ill effects of consuming garlic, that I would be swayed to continue eating it…? Is that what read wider means…?
    I would have had more respect for your post if you had related your personal experience instead of this self centered, nonsensical dribble. Peace…!

72. Sidney Haylock says:

73. Tirthapada Das says:

Drew, your article is written well and very open-minded to self-research. That being said, I want to add that from the Vedic side (the oldest yoga texts in the world), the story goes that when Rahu (an ancient demon who attacked the moon) was beheaded by Visnu’s cakra (a sharp disc), the blood fell upon the Earth, and on that very spot, Garlic and Onions began to grow. So all people in India know that Garlic and Onions are non-vegetarian because of growing out of blood! Pure vegetarian means no Garlic or Onions.
    And you did mention Robert Svaboda’s explanation. Nice article. Kudos to you. And Namaste!

74. Semraa Yaprak says:

The reason one feels tired or perhaps sleepy after eating raw garlic and onions is because they are working hard on your body to cleanse as you are well loaded with toxins. and it is really best to let your body rest and let your body be benefitted from their work well .

75. Roven Becker says:

Drew Gerald , You seem to be a kid to me, you self proclaimed polyman. Remember, excess of every thing is bad, even the healthiest food will turn into poison once it crosses this threshold. What is the criteria of your research, you seem to have consumed too much of both and when it started showing off the signs of limitless abuse you suddenly want to disapprove the time tested and miraculous food to the mankind.

In Chinese medicine and Ayurveda both, you will find the examples of wonders these can bring to human health. As for slowness of mind is concerned after consuming garlic, as Semraa Yaprak righly pointed out it is actually the reaction of the body to Garlic as it gets detoxed, and once it is fully free from certain toxins it won’t feel sluggish after consuming Garlics. Stop echoing this pseudoscientific crap that sulphone hydroxyl crosses blood brain barrier, even if it does, so do a many substances in foods and drugs and this is not necessarily bad, in fact it may be good for your brain.

I suggest that you do more research and always take into account studies and literature that speak conversely of what you want to present.

76. Longin Adamczyk says:

Tirthapada Das that’s really stoopid stuff! You sound like a barbarian!

77. Jason Miller says:

Stop spreading bad information around. Telling people garlic has toxins that will destroy your brain is fear-mongering. Unless you are a scientist who has studied garlic extensively yourself/have multiple studies to back up your claims or have the consensus of the scientific community that garlic is toxic please refrain from spouting opinions as fact.

Here is a simple link to a well-respected and proven source that shows you are most assuredly wrong.

It is in bad taste to claim something true when you don’t do the homework needed to back up your claims.

78. Sarkis Mambreian says: